Friday, March 9, 2012

Metering Part Two

So here is a little example so you can see what I am talking about. I took these pictures today in my front room. The only light is the light coming in from my north facing window.

This first shot I chose my settings so my light meter arrow was pointing at the 0.


The settings are:
ISO 100
Shutter Speed 1/100s
f stop 1.8

See how the dogs fur looks grey. It shouldn't. This is a white dog.

So I changed my settings so that the light meter's arrow was pointing between the +1 and +2.

 The new settings are:
ISO 200
Shutter Speed 1/60s
F stop 1.8

Both of these shots are strait out of camera (SOOC). They were just resized and sharpened for the web.

So there is actually a term for what we are doing here, ETTR (Exposing To The Right).  It is possible to expose too much to the right and that is where using your histogram comes in. And that will be my next post. So stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment